Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2412 Ignoramus2412 is offline

Default List of milling machine features I am seeking

On 2010-08-08, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus14749 wrote:

Here's a list of things I want to get from my mill. They all seem
individually doable. I can already use my mill for basic 3D
machining.

So, here's what I want.

1) All panel buttons and jog buttons work properly

Noting but some wiring and EMC2 configuration here.

Yep.

2) Spindle Speed control from G code using solenoids that actuate the vari-drive
(and not VFD), so that I get full power output at all speeds, all the
while operating at 60 Hz

You need to get your spindle encoder installed for this one since EMC2
will need to be able to measure the spindle RPM if it's going to control
the vari-drive.

Correct. I will put an encoder on the spindle.

As long as someone has already written the modules to control a
vari-drive, the rest is just more wiring so EMC2 can control the
up/down solenoid valves (and VFD if you haven't already done that).

Yes, I think that it should work, it is simpoly a configuration issue
for EMC.

3) Flood and mist coolant working, including from G code

More wiring and EMC2 configuration. Nothing more than wiring up a couple
outputs to relays to control the coolant pump, and a solenoid valve for
mist.

Yes. I already have flood working 100% from G code, GUI or from
panel. Mist amounts to one more relay and a pneumatic valve.

4) Jog mode, VFD at 5 Hz

Wire up yet another output from EMC2 to your VFDs speed select input,
and program the VFD to select between 5 Hz and 60 Hz based on that. I
presume you'll also need to wire an output or outputs to control the
gear range shift mechanism.

Something like that. I may use an ADC for this (desired speed). It
would be at 10v or 1v dependong on what I want.

5) 4th (rotary) axis based onthe Troyke CNC rotary table

Install your 4th axis drive, resolver converter, and a home switch on
the RT, and configure EMC2.

Yep

6) Rigid tapping, based on synchronization to spindle speed (G33)

This should come along with the spindle encoder you need for #2.

Right-o!

Once I do all of the above, I think that it wil be a Mercedes Benz
level mill, loaded with useful features,

More like a nice pickup with all the options. You'll see the "luxury"
mills and whatnot at IMTS.

Correction taken.

with everything accomplished
without modifying the hardware of this machine,

Iggy, you ripped all the original controls out of the machine, that *is*
modifying the hardware of the machine.

TO me, modifying hardware is drilling new holes (except on the
enclosure) replacing moving parts etc

and without incurring
expensive costs.

That's the important bit.

Am I missing anything in this picture?

Just the need to spend some time working with CAD and CAM software and
milling some wax to get familiar with them.

I will start with plain G code at first.