Glenn de Souza

Default African Mahogany finishing

I respectfully disagree with your wood supplier. I have finished this
species and avoided blotching by using a toned shellac. Add TransTint dye to
shellac to create a toned finish which you apply until you get the
color/depth the way you want, then seal it in with a clear finish topcoat.
No blotching.

By the way, its better to sneak up on the color than to try and apply fewer
coats of a heavily toned medium.

Good luck,

Glenn de Souza
Scottsdale, Arizona

"JPEracing" wrote in message
Saw a link on the ISW a while back on African Mahogany. The ISW gave some
good information on the Khaya spieces but nothing was noted about

finishing
issues.
Currently doing a project with this wood for the first time. Good figure,
(some ribbon) a bit wooly but overall pleased thus far.
Now as it turns out I am going to be a bit short on wood. My local

supplier
has some but is stating that the wood just doesnt finish well at all. The
woollyiness (sp) and the hard/soft density really makes it blotch prone.

He
says that it is overall just plain awful to make look good. I do want to
stain the wood a dark brown but if it is in fact that bad to finish I MAY
consider starting my project over with something a little less risky on

the
finishing side. Maybe walnut or cherry.
Anyone care to share there comments?
Thanks