Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Total greenwash :-)

harry wrote:
On 7 Aug, 19:23, Peter Scott wrote:
On 07/08/2010 16:21, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
However, the World Health Organistion estimates that the final toll from
Chernobyl may be about 4,000 early deaths
I estimate that the toll from fatuous posts made to usenet may be about
100,000 deaths. Obviously you're now a prime candidate for early demise.
My claim has about as much value as that made by (some unknown numpty)
at the WHO.
The WHO estimate is based upon the number of people who suffered from
thyroid cancer as a direct result of exposure to radiation. While all
but nine recovered, the probability is that the majority will have a
reduced life expectancy. However, the real point was that, even
including the highest number of deaths that anyone can come up with,
nuclear power still comes out as by far the safest form of energy.
Colin Bignell

In the latest New Scientist there's an article about the effect of
radiation on health. Well worth reading. In summary single large doses
are invariably bad for you. Slightly smaller doses spaced out to allow
the cells to recover (as in radio-therapy) need not be bad. Lower level
up to about 1000 times current 'safe levels' seem to do little or no
harm. Our cells have evolved with an ability to recover from background
and cosmic radiation. Once the initial high levels of radiation fell
away in Nagasaki the population actually turned out to have only
slightly higher levels of illness than similar cities elsewhere in Japan.

Peter Scott- Hide quoted text -

That is complete ********. Radiation exposure is cumulative. The NS
is a political magazine representing entrenched interests in the USA.

Er No.

The NS has been consistently anti nuclear and greenie as long as I gave
uop reading it.

That was why I was surprised to see the article there.

Of course its written by someone else, who happens to be a professor of
nuclear something.

(Mainly medical)
No level of radiation exposure is safe.

Well then life is not safe, because there is a ****load of radiation all
around you naturally.

Its been a long time since we have had a Naive Believer on the group!
Welcome!

Do you think the Jews made the Holocaust up as well?