Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Good pergola wood

I want to get some 4 x 12 beams for a pergola. I have four, IIRC, down in
Vegas, about 12 to 16 feet long, square on the ends. They are about ten to
twenty years old, and straight as day one.

Are they pine? Fir? What was used for external wood back then? If I was
to go buy some stuff today, what would I ask for? Really, I think I'll put
an ad on Craigslist for old wood, and just use stuff that is old that has
kept straight. Guides for identifying wood would be helpful.

It seems that this old wood is fairly dense (heavy). Just going to band saw
it on the ends, or carve it.