Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default OT Cell phone voice recognition

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 23:32:39 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote

A friend and I walk 3 miles almost every evening, and we call each
other to make sure we both are going. I had his name in my phone
directory as Dan. I would say........Dan, and the phone would
ask.......Did you say Pam? No, I didn't say Pam. Well it couldn't
get it. I ended up changing his name to Mike so it would not try to
call my sister. It still misses it half of the time.

You are on the right track by changing names. I had a problem with calling
hOme as the pronunciation was mistaken for O and the phone wanted to dial
zero. It is now listed as "my house" and the accuracy has been perfect.
Joan wan another problem with the O sound no I now use her last name.

Does the phone have speed dial? I can have 10 numbers that all I have to do
is press and hold a button down for a few seconds and it dials the assigned
number.

It does have a speed dial, and I guess that is what I am going to have
to use. I really wanted VR to work though. I was messing with
another feature from Google called GOOG-411.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOOG-411
It works just about as poorly, but when you are away from a phone book
it is useful to give it a try.

Has anyone besides me noticed that GOOG-411 is using a human voice to
emulate a computer sound?

It asks for a business and city state. It would be cool if it used
GPS to at least start with businesses in your area.