Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default tempered glass for windows?

mm wrote:

Sorry. I don't have experience with hail that big.

Welcome to midwest...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/hailstone-may-set-record_2010-07-27?page=2

The one in SD earlier this year left holes in roofs that looked to be a
foot in diameter from pictures I saw on TV news.

The last major one here (far SW KS) was in '05 that didn't have
record-setting size but was from golf- to tennis- to a few
baseball-sized stones combined w/ 80-90 mph winds that lasted nearly 45
minutes.

There was hardly a single window left on either the north or east side
of any residence or office building in the northern 2-3rds of town; the
hail tapered off significantly farther south. (We missed the hail track
entirely at the farm 4-miles east of the south side of town. It passed
about 2 mi north. A storm from the NE is extremely rare out here w/ the
prevailing weather patterns and almost always is a bugger when it does
occur.)

I saw two incredible events from that storm -- the first was a hailstone
thru a insulated-pane storm window that had sufficient residual wind
force behind it to penetrate the half-inch sheetrock on other wall 10-ft
away on interior wall of the apartment.

The second was the siding was totally shredded up to about three feet
off the ground on the Sonic drive-in _beyond_ the covered drive-in
awnings. Demonstrated the wind strength behind it to have such a path
to be so far off the ground at impact when had to clear the outer roof
edge...