Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Supermarket ****lists

In message
Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Yes, seen many a town centre die after the council introduces
car parking charges, removes free parking spaces, etc.

[snip]

I'm not claiming town centres could carry on just as they did
30 years ago in the age of the interweb, but the destruction in
this case was almost entirely council driven.

I think in some places, there are issues with shortage of
parking. In Ely, f'rinstance, too many free parking spaces were
being taken up by commuters from the surrounding area parking all
day where shoppers might otherwise park.

The council car park in West Kirby is 60 pence for an hours
parking but loads of people use the adjacent Morrisons car park
instead.

This is a wealthy town but some people still use Morrisons car
park to go to the beach because it is free for two hours, until
they overstay, maybe the poor souls can't afford the 60p charge.
Meanwhile shoppers who can't get to park in Morrisons car park
have to pay in the Council car park.

Stephen.