Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_z AL_z is offline

Default Laminate floor suitable for hallway and loo?

Tim Watts wrote in
:

AL_z
wibbled on Saturday 07 August 2010 15:11

What is your opinion on the suitability of laminate flooring for a
hallway and loo? Initially, I was thinking of using something tougher
and more washable, such as ceramic tiles, but I am reluctant, because
they are so permanent. If they go out of style, they are a bitch to
remove... whereas laminate can be ripped away in a jiffy.

Another couple of options would be rubber-backed carpet tiles or
possibly cork tiles, but I'm not that keen on those materials. Anyone
got any other suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Al

I don;t care how much they claim "bathroom grade" is waterproof - I
just wouldn't for the loo. Hall's OK.

I'd use a *good* quality vinyl for the loo rather than laminate. Also
it is very easy to change and should see 10 years hard use anyway.

Thanks for the input. The floor is bare screed at the moment. I'm not sure
if it's quite smooth enough to lay vinyl tiles on, but I'm not experienced
in vinyl. My only previous experience of vinyl tiles is self-adhesive ones,
and for those, I'd definitely need something smoother than this screed. In
one house, we had "Marley" tiles laid onto bare screed by a pro, back in
about 1960. He stuck them down with some kind of black tar-like adhesive,
and the tiles neeeded heating up in the process. They stood the test of
time; they were still looking no worse for wear in 2009! I guess that
system is now obsolete. For this job, I'm thinking I could perhaps lay
cement board or similar over the screed floor and then lay a good quality
self-adhesive vinyl tile through the hallway and loo together. Or is vinyl
tile in a hallway considered a bit naff/tacky these days? I've seen some
very convincing-looking stone-effect ones somewhere; B&Q, I think.

Al