Posted to uk.d-i-y
Part timer Part timer is offline

Default HF ballasts for linear fluorescents

On Jul 31, 10:00*am, Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:09:29 -0700 (PDT), Part timer

wrote:
On the label, Philips recommend using short cable
lengths to one end of the tubes. What is the reason for this? I assume
something to do with 30kHz. How short is short?

Usually 1m for the "short" pair, 2m for the other. *Only really an
issue if the unit is mounted outside the fitting (not unusual in
display lighting).

Anything else I should watch out for apart from isolating the fitting,
double checking work, etc?

Usually a simple job, you may need to drill *a hole for a self tapping
screw to hold one end of theballastas they are longer than the
standard one.

Got up nice and early this morning and took the fitting down. Stripped
out the Thorn iron lumps (2kg worth), capacitor, starters (left the
starter sockets disconnected). Dusted it all down, drilled the extra
hole to suit the electronic ballast's mounting holes and reused two of
the screws from the old ballast. I worked out the best strategy to
reuse the original wires with 3 choc-block connections where needed.
Double checked it all including earthing, put the tubes back in and
fired it up. No waiting 3+ seconds while it canes the tube ends, no
buzzing and no flicker. Magic!