Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Shoppa Tim Shoppa is offline

Default Epoxies (two part)

On Aug 6, 11:02*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Awl --

First, is "two-part epoxy" redundant? *Does "epoxy" nec. imply two parts?

Not necessarily. See 3M Scotch-Weld.

Next, does the strength of a two-part epoxy vary with its setting time?
Intuitively, I would think the longer the stronger.

In very general terms, yes.

The classic is "5-minute epoxy", but I believe I have seen 60 sec epoxy,
and I have 90 minute epoxy.
I find 15 minutes to allow for a few parts without rushing, and without
waiting forever to cure. *Altho I have also found that the epoxy is not
really hard in that time.

Of the consumer-grade polyamine-cure epoxies (most of the stuff you're
likely to encounter), expect a 48-hour time at room temperature
for full cure, and about a week to get really hard.

This is good advice, as is the contrapositive: In really cold weather
these epoxies can go for weeks without ever getting hard. Don't expect
a repair made in an unheated garage in upstate New York in December,
to be ready in March :-).

Tim.