Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin[_2_] Paul Franklin[_2_] is offline

Default Pressure washer question, will it rip a weed in two?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:05:53 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

I have weeds growing between my patio pavers (lots of them, as I have
been away on vacation for a while). they are a bitch to pull out,
roots are strong.

If I rent a gas powered pressure washer will that have enough cutting
power to rip them out? The patio needs cleaning anyway. Would there
be various nozzles that can rip a weed in two? I need to blow the
accumulated dirt out from between the pavers to slow them down for the
future too, pavers are butted tight making the weeds equally tight to
yank. I've used hebicides but they are still aggressive weeds.

Yep, it'll cut them out and they'll grow right back. Heck, a fine
nozzle on high pressure will etch the bricks.

I use one of those week torches off my grill propane tank. Easy and
fast.

Have to repeat every month, maybe two.

The extended duration herbicides work pretty well too.

Using polymeric sand (not regular sand) puts an end to the problem;
used it in my front paver patio and no weeds for 2 years now. Looks
almost like mortar between the pavers, but it is flexible enough to
handle some movement. But you need at least 1/8 inch between the
pavers to work it in between.

Paul F.