Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default NEC, romex and tie-wraps

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 10:28 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message

ter.com...

RBM wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I'm doing some work in my (unfinished, never going to be finished)
basement. I have to run some new wiring about 2 feet across a
concrete
block wall. There is one 6-3 cable and 4 12-3 cables. Is it
permissible to fasten the 6-3 cable to the wall and then tie-wrap the
other cables to it? If not, can I screw anchors into the wall and tie
wrap the whole bundle to the anchors?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.

I don't believe the Nec allows bundling cables, although I can't find
anything that specifically says this. You certainly can use tie wraps,
but
it may be easier to screw a slice of plywood to the wall then staple
them
it, individually.

I don't have time to dig through my code book, but are the cables even
required to be supported on the block wall at all if it is only a 2'
span and they are supported on either side of the wall?

I can't picture what his situation is, but no, the cables have to be
supported at 4.5' intervals, so if they're supported on either side, they
wouldn't have to be supported on the block- Hide quoted text -

OK, That's good news. Doing the two boxes and pipe thing is a bit
much, I think, especially since the wires have to go on a wall behind
a soil stack that only has, maybe an inch and a half clearance from
the wall. So, there wouldn't be room for a decent sized conduit. Also,
these would have to be pretty sizeable boxes to hold all those
splices.

You would NEVER install boxes, and have a pile of splices unless it was
absolutely necessary.
What you can't do is support a cable from another cable, but you can
certainly do as gfretwell describes, and collect a few cables together and
strap them, and again, the cables need to be supported every 4.5' and within
12" at boxes.

The exact situation is: The cables come down from a wall above, over
the sill plate. Then they run along the block wall, behind the soil
stack to a (perpendicular) joist. They follow that joist for a couple
of feet (to clear other wiring and a shelving unit), and then through
a hole in that joist (and 8 other joists) to the panel. I can anchor
them a couple of inches to either side of the stack. It's not the
prettiest, but it's not a pretty space to begin with.