Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Epoxies (two part)

Awl --

First, is "two-part epoxy" redundant? Does "epoxy" nec. imply two parts?

Next, does the strength of a two-part epoxy vary with its setting time?
Intuitively, I would think the longer the stronger.

The classic is "5-minute epoxy", but I believe I have seen 60 sec epoxy, and
I have 90 minute epoxy.
I find 15 minutes to allow for a few parts without rushing, and without
waiting forever to cure. Altho I have also found that the epoxy is not
really hard in that time.

The stuff I have now is Permatex (a 30 min epoxy), but DevCon and Loctite
are big players, with big-time industrial uses, such as epoxying bearings,
instead of press-fitting them into their housings. I believe DevCon stated
that epoxying bearings is in fact the preferred method, being stronger than
press fit.

The shear strengths are enormous, but require at least .010 on the radius
for good bonding. So a slip-fit for epoxy would be counterproductive.

In some of my proposed assembly methods, I could use set screws, pins,
epoxied pins, or just epoxy -- typically nominal 7/8 alum round in 16 ga SS
tubing, or some such.

I thought epoxying would be slam dunk, and indeed it saves machining, but
goddamm, you gotta pick yer poison, it seems. I could see arguments for
actually using a mechanical method AND epoxy, in some applications.

A feature of epoxy, which could be both good and bad, is its instability to
heat. I think boiling water, or at least not that much hotter, can undo
epoxied parts.

Iny thoughts?
--
EA