Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Total greenwash :-)

In message , PeterC
writes
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:44:11 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

On Aug 6, 12:23 am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Aug 5, 7:17 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Hydro - Europe 0.10
Hydro - world including Banqiao 1.4

I wonder what Hydro plants caused deaths? ...

These are whole-life figures, so include deaths of construction workers.

The Banqiao dam mentioned was built in China in the 1950s, with Soviet
help. It was designed for 300mm of rainfall in one day - a 1 in 1,000
year event. In 1975, 1060mm of rain fell in one day - a 1 in 2,000 year
event - and the dam collapsed whem the water overtopped it. The death
toll, including consequential deaths due to epidemic, is estimated at up
to 230,000 people.

The Vajont Dam, north of Venice also caused civilian deaths in 1963,
while the Taum Sauk pumped storage plant dam in Missouri collapsed,
without loss of life, in 2005.

Having now read about the Banqiao dam, the engineers and authorities
made a rather astounding number of errors which surely would not
happen in the West..
The Vajont Dam was more of an unfortunate natural accident.
Taum Sauk, that I have folllowed since the event, was another example
of sheer incompetence. I take back what I said about Banqiao!
I suppose the main requirement is to have nobody living immediately
downstream from a dam, or at least have adequate warning devices.

Of course, Germany's had problems with dams in the past - been OK for last
65 years or so though.

Lies, all lies

Here's the truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZVDiVvKsg