Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Small door

On Aug 6, 11:55*am, stryped wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:34*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

stryped wrote:
i have small an opening in the wall of my garage that goes into an
area of the crawlspace. I would like to close this off and make it
look nice. What I would really like to use is a regular door. However,
the openign is only roughly 32 inches tall and 36 or so inches wide. I
thought about makign my own door and casing, but was not sure how hard
that was to do. Any suggestions?

I've seen a decent looking full size hollow core door that was covered
with an assortment of moldings to make it look like a paneled door. If
you're fairly handy you could do the same thing with some 1/2 ply.

If you have a table saw, casings are a piece of cake. * A skil-saw and
some skills, and they are possible.

Is this a door that will be used often?
Does it need to be airtight to keep heat in/out?
Does it need to be locked?
How important is appearance?

Does it *have* to be 32x36?

Jim

Will not be used often. Does not have to be air tight
Does not need ot be locked
I would like it to look like it belongs there but doe snot have to be
fancy if that makes sense.

I could fudge the size a little bit. Cant go any higher thought.

If you have an opening from a garage to an occupied space (this
includes attics, basements and crawlspaces above and below), code
requires the opening to have a fire rated door, and it should be
weatherstripped. The idea is to prevent fire and fumes from entering
the occupied space and killing people. You don't have a door there
now, but that doesn't mean that you don't need one nor that it is
exempt from code requirements. It's not a big deal to make it
conform, and it'd be silly not to do so.