Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Leonhardt[_2_] Bill Leonhardt[_2_] is offline

Default Rails and Stiles questions

I need some input from the group on laying out rails and stiles for
face frames and panel doors.

I am building a couple of bookcases that have face frames and panel
doors on the lower portions. I plan (at least for now) to join the
door frames with mortise and tenon joints. The face frame may be
joined with pocket screws. Looking at the cabinets in my kitchen, I
note that they all have the face frames and doors built the same way,
namely stiles that run the full height of the object (face frame or
door) and rails to fit between the stiles.

I can imagine that one could build them opposite with rails running
the full width and the stiles sized to go between the rails. This
raises the following questions in my mind that I hope you all will
address.

1. Is there a structural reason for arranging the rails and stiles a
particular way?
2. Is there an ascetic reason for arranging the rails and stiles a
particular way?
3. Would it wrong (ascetically or otherwise) to have the rails and
stiles on the face frame be opposite to the rails and stiles on the
doors?

Thanks for your input,

Bill Leonhardt