Anna Kettle

Default New Kitchen: Flooring b4 units or units b4 flooring?

The floor is good condition timber boarding (60's). Floorcovering
will be vinyl (roll) on hardboard.

Q. I have the option to install the floorcovering either before,
or after the kitchen units but have had conflicting advice from
floorcovering people.

I put the flooring roll down first and allowed the vinyl to roll up
the wall a bit, then added units and skirting, so the flooring was
effectively providing tanking. A bit overkill especially as the
doorway couldn't be tanked but I reasoned that it could do no harm and
might be handy if there were a small flood.

I chose to do it that way because it saved me the problem of how to
finish the flooring as it butted up to the units. I had memories of
student accommodation where a horrible brown gunge had lodged itself
in the gap.

I had to be careful when bringing in the units to make sure that they
didn't snag.

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation