Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

Kevin wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:42:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

--

-Mike-