Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Setting a wagon tire

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 08:18:32 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 8/5/2010 7:58 AM, Markem wrote:
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 19:35:44 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 4, 7:11 pm, "J. wrote:
On 8/4/2010 4:44 PM, ATP wrote:

I'm kidding, but the Amish have an unusual take on things. I guess rubber
under the steel is OK, but rubber tires would be unholy. But whatever
they're doing seems to be working for them. I wonder if they're still busy
making those stoves...

It's not that rubber tires are "unholy"--their rule is no powered
vehicles that can be driven on the highway and no rubber tires is a way
to enforce it.

I'm not sure I follow - I've seen Amish wagons on the road, both with
rubber wheels and without. What does that have to do with it being
powered? None of the Amish wagons are powered.

Much of the Amish attitude toward technology is pragmatic--it's not that
it's "unholy", it's that they want to maintain a particular social
structure of their community and they're perfectly happy to go with
technologies that don't upset that social structure but they after due
consideration forbid those that do upset it.

Different sects of the Amish have different takes on the rubber. Some
allow it, some don't. Least that's what I've read. And it's owning
things that creates the problem. The Amish can take public
transportation and they'll hire buses when necessary.

There are some Amish here in Southern Illinois that drive pickup
trucks, John Deere tractors and such.

Are you sure those aren't Mennonites?

John Deere tractors could be New Order Amish, but pickup trucks don't
seem very likely unless there was some truly extraordinary situation.

Amish is what they say they are. The family (extended) has bought an
orchard and farm land in the area. I gather that they are an offshoot,
they are using modern things to make profit and improve the farm and
orchard.

Adapting to realities is how it was explained to me.

Mark