Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throatplates for a table saw?

On 8/5/10 2:40 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 5, 2:23 am, "Jeff wrote:
wrote

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

It may be worth knowing that there have been reports of unsecured plates
being lifted as the blade cuts and then ejected into the face of the
operator.

Unsecured? As is screwed down to the saw or with a pin in the back to
catch the table top? I don't know of any that are positively attached
to the saw.

The older Cradtsman TS required the loosening of a front countersunk Philips
head machine screw. When loosened a key hole slot in the front of the insert
would allow the insert to slide up and forward and finally up again and off
the table. The back end of the insert had a bracket that slid under the
table top.

My Delta has a machine screw on the front end and a nipple on the back.

Guess my point is that it's kind of irrelevant to what material is being
used.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)