Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee CWLee is offline

Default Trying to get rid of dirt

"h" wrote:

Your trash cans get weighed when dumped? And you don't
mean a large, commercial, industrial, special order
dumpster? Again, weird.Out here in the boonies the trucks
drive up, pick up the can, dump it into the truck, drop
it, and drive away. Really, can you say the trash people
do anything different where you are? No on is going to
"weigh" the trash from a regular trash can. There is only
one person doing the pickup, and he/she never gets out of
the truck! Just dump and drive. "If it fits, it ships", to
plagiarize from the USPS.

As I understand it, at the start of the mechanical lift from
the street, up and over to the initial receiving chute on
the truck, there is some sort of weight sensor that either
blinks a light in the cab, or sounds a buzzer, if some
pre-determined weight is exceeded. When the driver is
alerted by this he may abort the lift, leaving it for the
customer to handle - or abort the lift and then get out of
the cab and inspect the customer's bin. The driver notes in
a log the street address and the nature of the situation. I
had a "green" bin heavily loaded with sections of a tree
trunk which triggered the alarm. I happen to be there at
the time, with my broom cleaning up, and the driver told me
I had overloaded the bin, but that he would "override" the
alarm and take my stuff, but not to do it again.