Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Remove ceiling treatment

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:20:08 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"MikeB" wrote in message
In the attached pictures, is this "popcorn" treatment of the ceiling?

http://i34.tinypic.com/18ok1z.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/30w8ccp.jpg

Whatever it is, it is kind of "crumbly" and if one touches it or
brushes against it hard, it seems to fall off in little crumbs.

We're thinking of repainting the room, and I wonder if I can simply
scrape this off the ceiling and repaint? SHould I put on a primer?

It is in an upstairs room and I'm also not sure if this treatment is
perhaps partially an insulation, although I doubt it.

I can't help with ideas about removal, but here's a little known fact: If
you can positively identify the people responsible for applying that
texture, it's legal to beat them up. Not a lot. Just enough to make them
think about their crime against humanity.

I like the popcorn texture.