Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

wrote in message
Can laminated hardboard, the kind used commonly for shelving, be used
to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw.

I've made throat plates from plywood by cutting them to fit and then
raising the blade to cut a slot.

The smooth laminate seems like it would be suitable to make a zero
clearance plate, but are there any reasons not to try this?

Thanks for any advice.

Assuming what you are talking about is Melamine shelving, I doubt it would
be very good. Typically Melamine shelving is made with OSB and or particle
board.

Melemine on MDF would be much better.