Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default HEPA Air return filters

notbob wrote:

On 2010-08-04, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'll grant you that Wikipedia is a pretty shake source-- so I welcome
anything other than your opinion on the matter.

You've worked how many hours in a true clean room.

none-- But I don't need to work in a clean room to know that HEPA
filters are used in other places.

You've set up and
designed systems in how many class 1000/100 clean rooms? Do you know
how big a .3-5 micron particle is? Do you know how much HEPA
circulation surface/capacity is required for a given volume of space to
achieve ANY level of HEPA classification? You've certified how many
environments for particulate levels?

He isn't looking for a HEPA certified house. He is looking for a HEPA
filter.

Putting a true HEPA filter in your home furnace/central AC or vacuum
cleaner is like dropping a 5 gal home aquarium filter in an outdoor
swimming pool. IOW, totally useless. You can call it what you like
but real HEPA filters are only truly effective in VERY closed and
controlled environments. You wanna pay big bucks for a HEPA filter
while tons of particles are entering from a thousand other sources,
including your own body, fine by me. It's your money. Like those
view windows, sounds impressive and it's a good selling point.

So far all I've seen is your opinion. What is there in IEST
RP-CC001.5 that the furnace filters sold as HEPA filters don't comply
with?

Jim