Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Kenmore electric dryer not shutting off

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:43:22 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some driers have a humidity sensor. Check, see if the vent hose is
clogged.

No problem there (part of the reason for diggin in the machine was the
timer, but part was pulling the thing apart to give it an annual de-
linting - turned out it wasn't too bad inside at all)

If it is the timer, some electrical contact cleaner, followed by some
spray lube may do it. Worked for my washing machine timer ($75 on ebay,
no longer available at my wholesale house.)

Yeah, that's what I'll do when it dies completely I think - to really get
at the contacts I need to get the face-plate off, which means removing
that snap-ring, which means buying yet another tool... :-)

WD is fairly short lived spray lube.

Agreed - I hate WD40; lasts for a short while, then just attracts dirt
and wrecks mechanisms further. Good for temporary fixes, but it's not
really a long-term solution to anything.

I can see grease on the timer's shaft, and it turns easily enough, so I
don't think that's the problem with it - I expect it's either worn
contacts or worn cam gears (from what I can see through the holes in the
face-plate the cams are plastic, and if they're shot then it's pretty
much Game Over)

PB Blaster may last longer.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of using peanut butter... ;-)

cheers

Jules