Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default 125 VAC motor won't start

a453 wrote:

I searched but found no reference to my motor.. it's a bit old.... the
old capacitor is all rusty and unreadable so with some approximation on
"similar " motors I trend to install a new 220v 108-130 MFD
capacitor.... the motor ran fine for a bit and then the capacitor
"popped"... I guess I burned it....

SHould I try use a capacitor with a higher or lower MFD number (the
motor runs on ordinary houseol 115-120volt power) thanks

It is common for motors to use a capacitor to start the motor - it is
disconnected by a switch in the motor when the motor approaches running
speed.

Some motors have a capacitor that is permanently connected - a run
capacitor.

Some motors have both a start and run capacitor.

Since the cap died after the motor was running my guess is that the
motor uses a run capacitor. Or the start switch is not opening?

A capacitor that is designed for temporary starting can't be used as a
run capacitor. Your replacement cap was maybe a start cap where a run
cap should have been used? Does the motor have a start switch? Is it
opening? I have never seen a motor with a cap inside.

I think Grainger sells motor caps and you might get an idea of what is
out there. Run caps have a lower mfd rating than start caps.