Posted to uk.d-i-y
peteshew peteshew is offline

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

On 3 Aug, 22:04, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:56:22 +0100, Andy Burns

wrote:
Jim K wrote:

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

Whereas here, they recommend you remove the top, stand on the bottle to
flatten it, then replace to top, so you can fit more bottles into the
recycling bin.

Good point. I've just looked at one of our freshly crushed milk
bottles and it's probably still 50% of it original volume.

Cheers, T i m

I rinse out the milk bottles at the end of the wash and while still
warm wring them out by twisting the ends. They rapidly cool and stay
very compact without need to replace the cap.

Oddly different suppliers round here use two different plastics for
the caps - one acceptable and the other not. They also manage to
emboss the plactic type in 0.5 point font and I don't have an electron
microscope to hand.

With the push to recycle and with local authorities taking only
certain types, why is it not mandatory to show the symbol on all
plastics and preferably in a size that most people can easily see.
Lidl are quite good (are German rules tighter?) and Tesco are
particulary bad at marking packaging.

If we could get consistent acceptance of plastics across authorities,
then it should be an offence/attract a tax to sell products in plastic
that is not acceptable for recycling. We could also put refundable 5p
on ALL drinks containers, so the kids would not only leave less
litter, but clean up other peoples (or doesn't 5p mean anything these
days?)