Marcus Fox

Default Weevils...

"Paul King" wrote in message
"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
Weevils (browny black about 7mm long) are crawling up out of the gap

between
the base and back inside of our wall hung kitchen cupboard Suspect they

cam
walk all around the inside where the base, top and sides meet the back.

How
to eradicate them?

Marcus

People don't generally realise this, but - the weevil egg is smaller than

grain of flour, and therefore impossible to separate from the flour. We
therefore eat weevil eggs - albeit killed by the cooking process (bread,
pastry, cakes etc). That's the reason why eating "raw" flour is

discouraged.
If you leave a (sealed from the grocer's) bag of flour for long enough
(perhaps a year or so) you'll find weevils ALL OVER the place! I remember

long time ago, when I was a kid, our cat LOVED to eat Winalot hard dog

food.
We kept it in an airtight tin in a cupboard. After many moons the cat

"went
off" it and the tin was forgotten. Later we had loads of these small black
crawly "things" everywhere. When my mum eventually discovered the source,
the tin was FULL of flour weevils!
Hard dog (and cat) food is "processed" - that doesn't necessarily mean

that
it is cooked. If it isn't cooked the weevil isn't killed. Even keeping

goods
in airtight "tupperware" containers won't stop weevils from escaping. Use
food quickly and rotate your stocks is the only way to go IMHO.

Yeah, I think it was that two year old bag of wholemeal flour that did it.
Nobody uses it anymore.

Marcus