Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default What is this strange encoder motor?

Ignoramus30076 wrote:

Iggy has a resolver, is it safe to say that an Inductosyn linear scale is the same type of
device? I'm curious since I have a sick id od grinder at work that still has some issues
after replacing the sliding head for the scale.

Jon might know, I have no clue. Who made that Inductosyn?

An Inductosyn is similar in concept to a resolver, where a coil is
energized with an AC field, and by varying magnetic coupling to other
coils the position is detected. Inductosyn is a registered trademark of
Farrand Controls, but their patent has run out. The classic Inductosyn
has an exciting winding consisting of a serpentine trace on a PC board
like material. Very close to this is another short piece with two
serpentine traces of the same pitch a the spar. The two traces are
offset by 1/4 of a pitch, to provide the quadrature relationship.

The problem with the Inductosyn is that it takes a LOT of drive current
to provide a useful signal from the sense windings, often several amps
of drive.

Jon