Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Making a double flare on brake lines

On Aug 3, 1:34*pm, " wrote:
One of the steel brake lines corroded enough that it started to leak.
So I need to replace a section of the line. *Somehow it is something
that I have never had to do before and do not have the tools. *But I
looked on the internet and found descriptions of how to do it and lots
of discussion on RCM on problems one can have.

But what I did not find was anything about how to make the adapter
used to make double flares. *Have a lathe, should be trivial to make
the double flare adapter.

*In searching I found the Lisle sells the adapters. *Naturally none of
the autoparts stores carries the Lisle 31370 part, but found a bunch
of mail order places that do carry it. *Most of them sell the part at
discount, but with a big shipping charge. *The best total cost I found
was Auto Parts 123 selling through Amazon. *$2.18 for the part, and
$5.23 for the shipping. *Note this only is worthwhile if you already
have a tool for single flares. *After I get the part, I will try to
post something so that others can make their own.

Dan

There are variations on the angles, just depends on what type of
fitting you have. Around here, Autozone lends those specialty tools
out, charge on the card going out the door, refund coming back. Or
hit a place that makes the lines up and have an exact replacement made
up. NAPA's machine shop does that here. Brakes are something I don't
take shortcuts with. Going is great, stopping is better.

Stan