Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

On 3 Aug, 14:19, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:
Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

Cheers, T i m

[1] They suggest you place all leftover food in an old cereal box or
on some newspaper before putting in the big bin. We don't eat enough
cereal and have a sign on the door saying 'no free papers' ... ;-(
Having said that we don't waste much food either. ;-)

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?

around these parts no-one wants plastic bottle tops and definitely NOT
on the bottles!!

My best guess is they sort them by blowing air into the bottles and?
seeing how far they go? can't think of another automated process that
would require "no lids on plastic bottles" ? anyone?

Here is the crux of all this recycling bizness - product marketeers
will emblazon their products with "recyclable" but as we cyincs know
all too well, it may well be *technically* recyclable but practically
only in India by the subsistence souls that pick over the dump for a
living....

*All* those plastics we use should be recyclable it's just so far the
economics haven't been made to work yet.....

Cheers
Jim K