Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Kenmore electric dryer not shutting off

Jules Richardson wrote:
Got an elderly Kenmore electric dryer that once in a while won't
automatically shut off - it heats OK, runs through the cooling phase
at the end of the cycle, then just sits there with the drum motor
still running until either I manually move the timer knob a little,
or give it a good thump on the top, at which point the buzzer sounds
and it shuts off.

Another (rare) failure mode is that it'll run, complete the cycle,
shut the drum motor off, sound the buzzer - but I can still hear a
ticking sound afterwards (presumably the little motor for the timer
is still running) - I then have to turn the timer knob a whole
revolution or two before it goes quiet.

I'm assuming it's just the timer that's gone bad (connections all seem
good) - but do those failures seem indicative of any particular timer-
related fault? (living with it is an option, replacing the whole
timer is an option - but so is tearing it apart and cleaning contacts
or re- greasing parts etc. if those are what's bad)

Dryer's a Kenmore "heavy duty plus", model 86566100.

Not helping, but my elderly Whirlpool also no longer kicks itself to "off"
after a cycle. I just remember to go in and turn it off.

Jon