Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Trying to get rid of dirt

wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 08:53:19 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Aug 3, 8:50 am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message

I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Not sure why you think anyone's interested in a list of your computer
stuff.

Now, about that dirt: In 35+ years of gardening, I've read just about
every
treatise there is on making new planting beds. I don't recall reading
anything about removing soil. Put it back. It'll settle over time.

If you got this "remove the dirt" idea from a written source (printed or
online), what was that source? Got a book name or link to the article?

==
People pay a fortune for good topsoil and this guy wants to get rid of
it? He is making a big mistake. Now his "flowerbeds" are made up of
the poorer sub-soil and are now lower than the surrounding grass. A
good rain and everything gets flooded out. He needs a short course in
gardening. Many gardeners like raised beds for flowers.
==

I don't remember him saying this was top soil. In a lot of places the
backfill around houses is far from a useful top soil and that is why
people dig it out when they want a flower bed.
He could have 2 yards of clay and rocks.

He also didn't say that it was NOT top soil. He said this:

"How would i get the grass off without any dirt"

It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before jumping into the
fray.