Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

It is composted. We can put in similar, though don't think cardboard.

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?

Never heard of the tin lids thing, other than safety reason I can't
think of a reason why. Bottle tops because they presumably it is a
different plastic that isn't recycled yet , or can be of different
types, some of which aren't but makes it difficult to identify?

We can only recycle types 1,2 and 3 here (PET, HDPE and PVC).
--
Chris French