Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

"Brent" wrote in message
In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
conditions (like many people do).

Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
the camera flash.

It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,

they
break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"

200W
bulbs from ACE?]

Not quite an answer to your question, but I learned a technique for
photographing engines and complex three-dimensional objects called light
painting. You set the camera on a time exposure of about 4 seconds (a dark
garage and a tripod or magnetic clamp are a must) and then use a powerful
light and move it all around the area to be imaged.

I used to use tungsten bulbs, but I found that 100 LED showerhead
flashlights are perfect for this work as the ones I have are almost the same
color temp as daylight and emit broad, shadow free light for over an hour
per charge with no cords. They clip into the same sort of clamps used in
tungsten light reflectors, too.

You'll see an improvement right away. The dark shadows thrown by hoses,
levers, rods and wires disappear because they are "filled in" as you move
the light source around the area of interest. .

The 100 LED flashlights are also invaluable in microphotography - they are
like miniature umbrella lights. They also run very cool compared to any
incandescent light source.

--
Bobby G.