Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle temperature

On 2010-08-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:36:50 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

The bearings need to be filled with a
known quantity of lube to avoid overfilling.

1/3rd fill.

Fill them completely..and they will run very warm/hot

Right, but how the HECK do you determine how much is 1/3rd?
I guess the bearing manufacturer can calculate the exact volume of the
bearing that isn't filled with steel, but I think this could be hard to
do correctly in the field. Hmm, I suppose you could weight the bearing
and then calculate the volume of the OD - ID and that would get you
pretty close.

Wash it clean with solvent, and then pack the bearings for 1/3
of the circumference. Once that is done, you rotate the inner or outer
race to distribute the lube evenly.

Of course, if they have shields, you'll need to remove the
shields first. :-)

Anyway -- this (including the cleaning with solvent) lets you
examine the bearings and races for pitting.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564