Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Balancing A Ceiling Fan

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:02:29 +0000, Steve.IA wrote:
My bedroom ceiling fan (cheapo) was always noisey and wobbley. I finally
removed 2 of the 4 blades. Now it is nearly silent, doesn't wobble,
moves just enough air @ middle speed and uses ~ 1/2 the electricity.

What are the motors normally like in these things? Ours seems reasonably
stable - but on the slowest speed it almost looks (and sounds) like it's
surging. I can't tell if it's just my imagination, or if these things
have a bazillion motor windings in them and maybe one of the ones in ours
has gone bad...

cheers

Jules