Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One circuit often blows

On Aug 2, 7:14*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

On Aug 1, 10:11 am, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
Lately, one circuit on my box blows. It covers the microwave and
regular oven. I could
understand it blowing when another heat-using appliance, like toaster
oven or toaster runs at same time as microwave. But now it's blowing
all on its own.

Last time, today, only the micro was being used, to "reduce" a glass
dish of chicken drippings.

Can one circuit go bad all on its own? If so, why? And what should I
do about it.

Any info appreciated.

Since nobody has mentioned this yet and it sounds like it's a kitchen
circuit, is the breaker perchance a GFI one?

The microwave may have marginal "hot to ground" leakage which sometimes
becomes high enough to trip a GFI breaker.

If it's not a GFI breaker, then I'll side with those who say, "change
the breaker.

The breaker box was installed many years ago and I don't have any
paper work on it. *Is there a way for a *non-techie to ascertain
whether it is a GFI breaker?

Also, is it normal for a near-new MW to have the "marginal "hot to
ground" leakage? * How do I ascertain this?

(Starts to look like an expensive electrician visit...sob...)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

From your two replies, it sounds like this circuit is not dedicated to the
microwave. Is it a 15 or 20 amp circuit? What is the wattage of the
microwave? If there is truly nothing else operating simultaneously on the
circuit, and it trips, it's most likely a problem with the microwave, or a
bad breaker. Have you checked to see if anything else goes out when that
circuit trips, such as the refrigerator or something in another room?- Hide quoted text -

I'm inclined to think he has a gas oven and the circuit supplies the
microwave as well as 115 for the oven light/timer/whatever. At the
price, replacing the breaker is the simplest test he can perform.