Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Albert Ross Albert Ross is offline

Default New LCD television how reliable

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:29:59 +0100, Mark
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:40:55 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:47:51 +0100, Albert Ross wrote:

Interest??? More like disinterest nowadays

You can get 2 to 3% on cash if you look not that hard. Be prepared to
tie the money up and you might get 4 or 5% but fixed. Dable in the
safe end of the markets and you could do better than that.

Are any of these products actually any use? I generally find that
deals like these have so many strings attached they are not as good as
they look. Often you only get these rates for a short time and there
may be a withdrawal penalty.

Yes, read ALL the small print!

When I invested mother's money from selling her house it was paying
out 4+% interest and the fund was growing around 5% as well.

Due to the recession the fund collapsed and strangely it worked out
that it had reduced by the amount of interest they paid out, so
basically they were metering her capital back to her for several
years.

Some of the other funds were paying out or retaining good rates until
they were reduced to less than 1% without anyone bothering to notify
us. At least the capital was still there.

I put some money into another fund at the bottom of the market, that's
growing well so far and may replace *some* of the lost capital but
retains the interest (compound) rather than paying an income and it's
hard to extract any capital without penalties.

Read the rest of the small print too . . .