Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 21:43:45 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You're going to need a *lot* more lighting in your shop (another
half-dozen 4' dual shop lights ought to do). Might just as well put
it in now. Add to that a couple of 1kW halogen work lights, for the
mud work, and you should be OK.

A couple of 1KW work lights? Holy cow - you're going to blind the
poor guy with the glare.

Put 300W sticks in them. Bounce off the ceiling or an adjacent wall.
One light tends to throw shadows.

Seriously - one does not need tons of light to check for flatness.
A modest 60W bulb, and a head tilted to view the wall from an angle
is plenty sufficient. As another poster suggested - use your hand
and fingers to find the high/low spots.

It's a lot easier to see with a *lot* of flat (indirect) light. At
least it is for me.

You need to try more techniques. One light will do the job. It's all about
the angles.

Bill - I paint cars a bit - and I insist on dead flat surface
finishes. I have a little insight into this stuff, and you don't
need to over engineer this lighting thing. A simple hand held
trouble light will give you all the light you need to check your
joints. You *can* have too much light and end up with glare off the
walls and glare from the airborne dust.

Dust? ...and you paint cars? ;-)

Oh... you might say...

--