Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default One circuit often blows

On Aug 1, 2:26*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
I didn't make the laws of physics, but I usually follow them. *Amps = volts
÷ watts. * *If one changes, another will. *Are you saying the rated watts of
the heating element will change?

The rated watts of a heating element is generally an estimation based
on the typical outlet voltage divided by the resistance of the
element. If the voltage goes down the resistance doesn't change (much)
and so the wattage and amperage go down.

However...a microwave doesn't use a heating element as such. It does
have a high voltage power supply which IS pretty sophisticated
(controlled by solid state electronics) it may try to maintain a
constant output power which would require a higher input amperage at a
reduced input voltage. Or, it may only care about maintaining the
correct frequency and let the power fluctuate with input voltage...
I'm not sure which...