Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default tempered glass for windows?

On Jul 31, 1:54*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I just priced the windows for the last room in my 100 yr old house.

One of the options the salesman offered was tempered glass. * *My
first instinct was 'sure, why not?' -- but the more I think about it,
I have trouble justifying the extra $2-300 for 3 windows.

These are second floor windows- not in a high wind area, though there
are trees nearby. * * They are not within range of any golf balls,
baseballs, or other missiles. * The windows that are there now have
survived 110+ years without shattering. [likely the original windows
as all the panes have bubbles and imperfections]

So is there something else I'm missing that makes tempered a
worthwhile investment?

If the size of the pane makes a difference- 2 windows are 30x36 double
hungs- so the panes are about 26x15. * The other is a 74x36 slider-
panes probably about 35x32.

They are Andersen 400s with the Smartsun LowE-4 glass.
[still open to suggestions if anyone has strong feelings about these
or other windows]

Jim

Andersen makes great glass you should check out the process at their
website. They have a better condensing rating than pella, mine
condense easily the andersens dont. Is this a factory install or a
local, because if a non factory rep you have to check plumb, level and
square before you pay because if anything is 1/8" or more out it isnt
covered by Andersens warranty from day one. Read your warranty
exclusions. Forget the tempered option. My Andersens are actualy
clearer than other glass I have and they honor thier warranty. If you
dont have an andersen co install it get their rep out to verify it to
being accepted as not improper, so you get the warranty. It should
only cost 100$ I had the rep out to late, after I paid, and the
installer would not come back to fix several windows.