Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Air conditioning/water help

On Jul 31, 11:39*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
stryped wrote:
I have a 12 year old Carrier weathermaster 9200. It has been a good
unit. I have it installe din the crawl space with insulated flexible
duct.

To make a long story short, my duct work is wet. Soem more than
others. Some so bad the adjacent sub floor to the register is getting
wet.

Unit seems to cool ok. My electric bill has gone up alot in the last
two months but that may be due to hotter temps than normal.

It is generally a good idea to wash out the condenser coil (outside)
every year with a concentrated spray from a garden hose, at least.
That probably isn't related to the wet ducts, but could be related to
higher electric bills.

You may also need to clean the evaporator coil, that can be harder to do
without making a huge mess. *If it is clogged with dust, it can slow
airflow, and cause the smaller volume of air to get colder than it
should, leading to condensation in the ducts. *Also, of course, make
sure the air filter is clean, and the slot where you insert it is not
leaking a lot of air. *Check the insulation on the ducts, it may be
coming loose. *If you ducts are not insulated, then crawl space systems
will surely get condensation and poor efficiency. *You might do well to
wrap insulation batts around it.

Jon- Hide quoted text -

There are vents in my crawlspace and a vapor barrier on the ground. AT
night the thermostat is set at 71-72. Could thi sbe a problem?

Once the duct work is wet does it have to be replaced?