Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I hate CMUs (concrete blocks)

On 7/31/2010 10:07 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 7/30/2010 6:17 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Well, I really don't hate them. I've (registered Civil Engineer)
designed a lot of retaining walls and load bearing walls using CMUs
(Concrete Masonry Units). I hate how they are totally abused and
misused.

The following picture is a typical support under my house. 1950s
construction. This crap is throughout the house. BTW, the previous
owner, responsible for all of this, was successful in the lumber
business. You would think that on JUST ONE support under the house he
could have come up with the money for either a 4"x4" post or maybe a
6"x6". Heck, he only would have needed an 8 or 10 inch length!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/ivanvegv...377 458850562

This kind of crap is throughout this part (north) of Oregon. Most of
these places were improved without the benefit of permits or good
advice. My neighbors are stunned that I actually fill my concrete blocks
with concrete. Using rebar blows their minds.

I cringe when I see this. I cringe when I see somebody working under a
car supported by CMUs.

The only allowed use for loose CMUs should be low (2 rows maximum)
bookshelves in college dorms.

Sorry about the rant. BTW, I've already removed and replaced about 11
occurrences of the above.

Ivan Vegvary

If I ever saw anyone who needed screw jacks, it is you my friend.

TDD

Using two 20 ton hydraulic jacks along with 14 house jacks (jack
screws). Over the years I've been picking up jack screws at garage sales
for anywhere from $ 1 to $ 3 each. The hydraulic jacks are wonderful
because of their power. The down side is that they are very heavy and
always bleed back slightly, so they are not to be used for final
positioning.

Ivan Vegvary

I see the foundation screw jacks installed permanently all over this
area of Alabamastan. The guys doing foundation repairs seem to be quite
fond of them.

TDD