Richards

Default Basement Shop vs Dust in Home Above

Othello1939 wrote:
I have an opportunity to create a woodshop in a basement -- but, upon being
asked to do so, I was very hesitant to reply due to fear of creating a more
dust in her home. Question: Is more dust upstairs a given with a basement
shop? Or, can I effectively whip that problem? My tools are currently in
storage and among them is a 1200 cu ft (advertised) DC. I used it in my
last shop with the bags that came with it, and dust *was* a problem --
particularly with MDF. If I can figure a way to *effectively* whip this
dust issue, I can have a great shop in the basement.

My apologies for the broken email address for replying. Please use
deltaorion39NOSPAM@ sbcglobal.net (without the NOSPAM) should you choose to
reply off-net. Thank you.

Gary

It depends. Dust is a problem in my shop. I have a Unisaw, lots of
routers, a shaper, etc. etc., with lots of dust collection. Unless I
stop and clean up every few minutes there's lots of dust.

Normally I cut several sheets of plywood, MDF, or particle board at a
time, with 30+ cuts per sheet (yes, I make mostly small things). In
other words, lots of cuts, lots of routing, lots of shaping, lots of dust.