Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tempered glass for windows?

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:48:58 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:53:28 -0600, Robert Neville
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

One of the options the salesman offered was tempered glass. My
first instinct was 'sure, why not?' -- but the more I think about it,
I have trouble justifying the extra $2-300 for 3 windows.

These are second floor windows- not in a high wind area, though there
are trees nearby. They are not within range of any golf balls,
baseballs, or other missiles. The windows that are there now have
survived 110+ years without shattering. [likely the original windows
as all the panes have bubbles and imperfections]

So is there something else I'm missing that makes tempered a
worthwhile investment?

Tempered glass is usually only required where there is a high probability of
someone slipping or falling nearby and putting a head, arm or other body part
through the glass. In most residental applications not on a golf course, that
means in the bathroom or in sliding doors. Can't imagine why you'd want the
expense in a standard window. Your local code may vary.

Tempered glass is not part of the wind code. If you have "impact
rated" windows, they are not tempered they are sandwich glass like a
windshield, except heavier. My impact sliders have 9/16" glass and
each 36 x 80 panel weighs almost 300 pounds.

SOME impact glass is laminated AND tempered. Expensive stuff, because
the glass needs to be cut to size, then oven tempered, THEN laminated.
Cannot be cut.