Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Professional CNC machine -- meaning of CYCLE START and CYCLE STOP

On 2010-07-31, Karl Townsend wrote:

What I was thinking is to add a button sized potentiometer called
"speed override", where I can make everything run faster or slower.

This is EXTREMELY handy. No way do you get feeds just right on one of parts.
I've got a spindle speed pot on all my machines also. If you've got manual
machine experience you can dial in proper feeds and speeds in just a few
seconds. In my case, I've never used a speed feed calculator.

OK thanks. I do not know if Jon's PPMC can take in analog signal, I am
unaware of whether it is true or not. But if it could, it would be
nice. I will check with him.

Have it put out more than nominal speed voltage and run the
output voltage through a pot on the way to the VFD's input. That way
you can go from your selected amount above the nominal speed down to
zero speed (or perhaps add a fixed resistor on the bottom leg of the pot
so you don't quite get down to halted).

It is not really for the VFD, it is for the rate of feed.

Yes and the software definitely has a feed rate override function and
provisions for controlling that function from external "hard" controls,
not just soft keys on a screen. Of course a touch screen wouldn't
exactly be a bad thing either.