Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default tempered glass for windows?

RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 31, 2:54*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I just priced the windows for the last room in my 100 yr old house.

One of the options the salesman offered was tempered glass. * *My
first instinct was 'sure, why not?' -- but the more I think about it,
I have trouble justifying the extra $2-300 for 3 windows.

-snip-

Code only requires tempered or laminated glass in certain situations,
so unless the window glass is immediately adjacent to a door, within
18" of the floor, in a hurricane area, within 1 mile of the ocean, or
within 5' vertically of the floor of a tub, you don't need it. Save
the money.

Thanks- that seems to be consensus- I'll see if I can spend that
money someplace else.

Jim