Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Coasting in neutral doesn't save gas

"Roy" wrote in message
On Jul 30, 10:05 am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 30, 9:29 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

So says Popular Mechanics:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ting-in-neutra...

'Course the author is assuming an internal combustion engine. Presumably
with a hybrid, the coasting actually CHARGES the batteries, thereby
increasing gas mileage. I'm not even going to get into external
combustion
engines...

I dont buy it, it isnt a gasolene consumption issue, when coasting in
gear the engine is not moving at idle speed, the extra rpms are a drag
on the transmission and lower mpg, the trans also has more drag being
in gear. He is only thinking gasolene not drivetrain friction loss.

==
Coasting in neutral has to be one of the more stupid ideas
circulating. You are essentially losing control of your vehicle in a
sense and the transmission has no effect on braking and brakes will
have to be used more. For acceleration, one has to engage the clutch
and shift to the desired gear or in an automatic shift to the desired
"mode". Why complicate one's existence? The saving is insignificant at
best. I doubt that any great number of drivers would even contemplate
such a stupid maneuver.

It was a standard feature built into some older cars. You flipped a lever
and "freewheeled" Whenever you weren't accelerating, it just coasted
==