Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default tempered glass for windows?

On Jul 31, 2:54*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I just priced the windows for the last room in my 100 yr old house.

One of the options the salesman offered was tempered glass. * *My
first instinct was 'sure, why not?' -- but the more I think about it,
I have trouble justifying the extra $2-300 for 3 windows.

These are second floor windows- not in a high wind area, though there
are trees nearby. * * They are not within range of any golf balls,
baseballs, or other missiles. * The windows that are there now have
survived 110+ years without shattering. [likely the original windows
as all the panes have bubbles and imperfections]

So is there something else I'm missing that makes tempered a
worthwhile investment?

If the size of the pane makes a difference- 2 windows are 30x36 double
hungs- so the panes are about 26x15. * The other is a 74x36 slider-
panes probably about 35x32.

They are Andersen 400s with the Smartsun LowE-4 glass.
[still open to suggestions if anyone has strong feelings about these
or other windows]

Code only requires tempered or laminated glass in certain situations,
so unless the window glass is immediately adjacent to a door, within
18" of the floor, in a hurricane area, within 1 mile of the ocean, or
within 5' vertically of the floor of a tub, you don't need it. Save
the money.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the price difference isn't bigger.